Full form of GPS
GPS stands for Global Positioning System.
Whats is the full form of GPS ?
The Full form of GPS is Global Positioning System.
What is GPS ?
- The Global Positioning System (GPS), originally known as NAVSTAR GPS.
- GPS is a satellite-based radionavigation system owned by the United States government.
- It is operated by the United States Air Force.
Where GPS originated ?
GPS originated in United States.
Who developed GPS ?
- It is maintained and developed by the U.S. Department of Defense.
- It was basically designed to assist soldiers and military vehicles.
- After some decades it made accessible to anyone having a GPS receiver.
What is use of GPS ?
- It allows ground users to determine their exact location, velocity, and time 24 hours a day, in all weather conditions, all over the world.
- Nowadays it is widely used to track vehicles and follow the best route from one place to another place by Airlines, shipping firms, courier companies, drivers etc.
- It can be used to create maps of the world.
- It can be used to precise timing to the world.
- It can determine the exact position.
- It can be used to navigate from one place to another.
- It can be used to track the movement of a person or an object.
What are parts of GPS ?
It can be divided into three different segments as given below.
- Space Segment
- Control Segment
- User Segment
- Space Segment refers to satellites.
- In Space Segment there are around 24 satellites.
- These 24 satellites are distributed in six orbital planes.
- Control Segment refers to stations on Earth.
- It is developed to maintain and monitor the satellites.
- User Segment refers to users that process the navigation signals received from the GPS satellites to calculate position and time.
When GPS First launched ?
- GPS was first launched in 1978 but the very first GPS was developed in the 1960.
- The first GPS was used only to assist the ships of US Navy in navigating the oceans more accurately.